Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Dog Trials and Cold Meds...

...don't mix well. Despite battling a killer bug, I decided to run down to lovely Water Cress Farm in TN yesterday for a quick go with Rae. Got there 4 dogs before my turn, saw a couple RTs and then sent my dog. Last year Rae stopped short on the left outrun, and probably since I was ready and expecting it this year, she chugged right on around and came in fine. These sheep really bring out her eye, so I had trouble getting her to flank freely on the fetch. We limped along just offline pretty much the whole way down. I didn't have much energy to fight her, so just kinda let her have her offline fetch. Slow and deliberate turn, got the drive going well until shortly in front of the panels when I know my whistles were bad. My head was really cloudy at this point, I know I was blowing late and big flanks, so we missed the panel but recovered for a good cross-drive leg, making those panels. Return leg to the shedding ring was probably sloppy, I don't really remember, I was too busy huffing and puffing to walk 15 yards out to the ring. We needed a split, but had a tough time with a ewe who kept wanting to break no matter where I put her. I was about zero help for Rae at this point, couldn't move enough to hold up my side, couldn't think enough to come up with a plan, but she hung in there and we eventually pulled out an 8 point split. Regathered with 8 seconds left, went all out for the pen and tried to shove them in, but the timer went off just as I was closing the door on one's butt.

Rae did so much more than her share of the work, and I really don't know how she understood my feeble whistles, but she even took her downs. I saw 2 runs after mine then hit the road, fighting off sleep the whole way. Slept for 14hrs and decided not to go back today. Bummer, because I was so looking forward to this trial. Ah well. I'm on-call about a gazillion times this next week and weekend, so resting up was the smart move. Sorry Rae.

No comments:

Post a Comment