Not much time for blogging lately. Seeing as we're off to the first trial in ages tomorrow, I thought I'd do a quick post.
Two weekends ago I went back for another Sister Working Weekend. Well, all the dogs got a lot of good time in amongst helping my friends get ready for the trial. Rae got to practice big blind outruns...pretty cool when the person setting sheep radios to you about where your dog is on her outrun and fetch. I also got to try an international shed where Rae and I worked to get out a handful of woolies from a flock of nearly 100 katahdins. Both new experiences for me, and it's so nice having a good dog who will help you through new things.
Gabe had some up and down moments, which pretty much sums up both of the youngsters these days. One week he or Livy will look spectacular, the next they're back to doing naughty baby dog shenanigans. I was happy to get the chance to work Gabe on the whole flock as he and I have never worked that many before. As always...wish I had more space, more sheep, and more time. Though I was a little disappointed with how Gabe's steering seemed to have fallen apart, he did show some mental maturity in situations that otherwise would've caused a mental (ahem, tooth) explosion in the not-so-distant past.
Gabe at home, late-July
Livy gave a pretty accurate demonstration of where she is right now: outruns tight and casts at the last minute, occasionally dives in for no perceivable reason on the fetch (hard to stop it when you don't see it coming), and slices her flanks terribly at hand, particularly that away flank. But likes driving! I've been struggling as she wants to fight me and I have not been able to get her to bend to my pressure. When I am less a part of the picture due to distance and she is in a good place mentally, she shows some very natural and pretty moves out in the field. Something has just not been jiving between the two of us.
Livy at home
Livy driving
I did get a new exercise to try with regard to her slicey flanks. Instead of trying to push her out and picking a fight with her, I lie her down and body block her to keep her from going around her sheep. We slowly work our way back off the sheep to a more appropriate position and I let her go around. Seems to keep me calm, keep her calm, and keep her from ramping up so much momentum and mental excitement due to her speed and proximity to the sheep. She's a fast little bugger, even faster than Ella at a dead sprint.
Anyway, we've been at this exercise for a few works, we'll see how it goes. So far I am liking it.
Gabe, the dog who we thought had no eye, now has too much eye on the drive. He takes any flank as "walk up" and is particularly slicey on the away side. He gets in this mental zone where he just...keeps...walking...sheep. He loves to drive and has an awesome ability to settle sheep with his eye while driving. I've seen him catch running sheep by doing nothing more than continuing to walk on. Good thing he can hold a line and is nice and steady, but seriously Gabe, I do need some steering on ya!
Gabe driving
He is also having trouble with off-balance flanks. I really thought he was further along than that, but it is just sooooo darn hard for him to do something different than what feels right to him. He is quite natural and not nearly as flexible mentally as Livy is. Liv is so biddable (other than her grippage issues, she can't help herself!) that I can place her anywhere. I think Gabe will be this way in the future, he has been moreso that way in the past, we are just having a little hiccup. He has gained a lot of confidence and matured in other ways that I suppose it is not surprising that he is getting a little opinionated.
What can I say about Rae? It is so comfortable and smooth to work with her and I really love our partnership. I can trust her and find myself still choosing to use her when I'm in a hurry or doing something that may be a little hairy. Like after-dark chores: no way I could trust the youngsters without seeing them!
Here Rae kindly pushes sheep out for Gabe and Livy.
Waiting their turn.
So with that update, we are off to Donald's Highland Occasional Trial tomorrow. I've never been there but hear it is a great time.





No comments:
Post a Comment