N/PN sheep take a nap in the shade.
The field was small and the Ranch course was more like a PN course with a small cross-drive. The sheep used for the Ranch class were unbroke katahdins and were very nice. They were very sensitive to the field pressures, which seem magnified on a small, fenced field, but were heavier than many katahdins I've come across. Gabe was a little too excited about the whole trial scene and forgot his listening ears. RT. Spain was pretty nice around the course though I didn't handle too well, I can't remember any details, I think the heat got to my brain! I ran her on mostly verbals so as not to confuse her with her new whistles. The sheep had not seen a pen before and were nicely challenging to put in. We had to work hard and I was very happy with how she kept her head until we got them in.
Sunday was a little cooler and the dogs were appreciative. Gabe ignored my down at the top (though his lift was nice and controlled), so we RTed. I hadn't been able to make arrangements for someone to exhaust my sheep if we retired right away, so after I met him on the far side of the drive panels to remind him what a lie down whistle sounded like, he got to drive them the whole way across the field and to the exhaust. Didn't mean to reward him for his bad behavior by letting him work, but that was just the way it worked out...and he didn't put a foot wrong. Ahhh! So frustrating! Spain again had a pretty good run. My timing is not where it needs to be with her, yet, but she listened very well on a combination of verbals and whistles. Another difficult pen but we got them in, good enough for 2nd place. We still have a long way to go as far as getting together, but she is trying very hard for me!
Rae and I watch from the shade.
Free range peahen just hanging out.
If only Gabe could get the jitters out and settle down at trials...sigh. (The same could be said about me). He is a very nice worker and I love working with him, we really are a good team when we are both at our best. I'm sure that we just need more miles. So we'll keep at it!



No comments:
Post a Comment