Gabe was my first to run, and as he crested the first hill I gave him a security redirect to keep him out. He took it perfectly and continued on to have a lovely outrun. The middle part of the fetch was in a big dip, so it was blind to the handler at the post. Gabe went in online and to my surprise emerged online! We made the fetch panels and continued on with a nice pace. His first leg of the drive was fine, it was that darn cross-drive where he boogered up a flank. It took some effort to get things back together, but he was working well til he took a wrong flank at the cross-drive panel and we just missed them. Decent return leg and onto the pen, where many teams failed to get the wily sheep in. He was controlled and working very well for me and we managed a nice pen. Plenty of time in the shed ring and we got a shed that I was quite happy with. It was a respectable run score-wise and more importantly, I was really happy with his work.
Gabe on the first leg, Sue's cell phone pic
The second go included a dog-leg fetch followed by an interesting drive, a maltese cross (must get them all through) and pen. Gabe ran out beautifully without the need for any security or other redirects, so I was really happy to see that. He had trouble on the dog-leg (homework for us), and we didn't get them online til the fetch panels. He had a good driveaway going, and yet AGAIN, messed up a flank about halfway across the cross-drive. We got things straightened out and made the next panel and had a good flow coming to the cross. We got them in the first chute but I'm not sure what happened and next thing I knew they'd turned and were headed down one of the cross alleys. I had him pick them up again and we put them back through correctly this time. He brought them nicely to the second mouth of the cross and we sent them through without much fuss. I sent him to gather as I went to the pen, and he brought them nicely and in they went. Woohoo! I was SO proud of him, his at hand work was especially nice and workmanlike, we really only goofed on the dog-leg and the cross-drive. I was quite happy with our run and again our score was probably about mid-pack.
Not me, just a course picture; sheep set to left, fetch gates in the middle of the picture,
drive away on the left, cross-drive out of sight to the right. Much of the fetch is actually out of sight of this pic, the terrain dips just beyond the fetch panels
Still not me, third drive leg to the cross, pen on the right
Edgeworth 2012




No comments:
Post a Comment