Pages

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Rural Hill SDT

This year was another fun Rural Hill trial and festival.  Chilly mornings but unseasonally warm temperatures during the day.  I ran all 3 Open dogs in a field of about 80 dogs and again can't remember the details of most of their runs this far out.  The first round had the standard split, pen, single.  Even though it didn't feel like one of our better runs, Spain ran well enough to place 12th in the first round!  Gabe didn't listen very well in either run and I wasn't very happy about that, though this field does have some very notorious dead spots and tends to bring out lots of hearing issues in the dogs. 


 
Gabe rounds the post
 

 
Gabe's first run; got it together after a bad fetch
 


Gabe's second fetch was better than the first, still not great,
and left a lot to be desired around the course
 
 
Even though Spain was the one in the money, Livy was really my star of the weekend.  It was the first time she's run close to what she's capable of.  First run she pulled a goof-ball moment and stopped on her outrun to look back at me. One redirect got her going and another got her bent out nicely. Excellent lift, not upset by the horses at all (which was a relief because she's never picked up off of horses before), and listened very well on the fetch, making the panels and taking her time. Good drive all the way around and made all the panels. She was just smooth as can be, flanking nicely, calm, pacing. Into the ring quietly and in control, but she wouldn't come in on the split, which was disappointing because that was about all I had practiced with her that week in preparation for this trial. She came in on the second attempt, easy pen, and only 1 point off the single. She was jusr 5 points out of placing!!!!  I thought her fetch and drive lines were a little better than her score, but no matter, she worked so well and I was so happy with her :D

Second turn we had to go first in the class. She gave a beautiful outrun all on her own!!! We had a little trouble holding the fetch line on her bad side, got her back after missing the panels and had a heck of a first drive leg til the one really bad dead spot where she couldn't hear me and started bringing them back. Got her righted and we made the panels, a bit wobblier on the cross drive but I've always had trouble picking that line out on the second day, made the panels but couldn't prevent a pull through (again a tough spot hearing and pressure wise). Nice into the ring but again didn't take the split right away. Got her in, penned, and then we had to single a collared sheep. Yes, only one was wearing a collar. I've never done that. It was intense and I was scared of her but thanks to some awesome athleticism and keenness on her part we got it done on the first attempt!!!! Score was killed because of going the wrong way on the drive away and the pull through, and she wasn't as smooth as before where I had to help her with some verbal flanks, but she was very willing to be my partner and was mentally under control.

I got so many compliments on her! She is essentially an unknown based on her limited trial experience, and she really impressed a lot of people this weekend. I was so, so proud of her. Maybe we are starting to get there :)  I guess we'll see!


 
Livy fetching in the first round
 

 
Livy in the shedding ring
 
All photos courtesy of C. Koval

No comments:

Post a Comment