Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

The New Guy

There's another new addition to the family:

Fieldstone Gabe

Gabe was bred and started by my friend Christine Henry. He is 1 1/2 years old, out of her good dogs Bess and Tweed. This winter, I was fortunate to have the opportunity to bring Gabe home with me for a couple months to gain some experience bringing along a young dog. She was feeling over-dogged, and since Ella was on the disabled list, I jumped at the chance to work with another dog.


Gabe working at home

Gabe was raised in the kennel and was not used to living in the house. He was a little unsettled at first, but always re-oriented to me when he was feeling uneasy. From day 1 the dog wanted nothing more than to please me. On sheep, he was pushy but very responsive. He got some good grips in early on, as in the take-sheep-down and-chew-on-them variety. Yet he never completely lost his head and always called off without much trouble.

Within no time he fit right in to the routine here. He visited the clinic, rode to town for errands, traveled with me and the girls, and played with his girlfriend Ella. At night, if he was crated anywhere *other* than right next to my bed, he howled all.night.long. He needed to be a part of the family.

Play time with his Merlefriend

Before the terrible snows came, we were lucky to be able to train just about every day. During my lunch I'd take him and Rae over to the sheep and each would get two turns. I was able to put some good mileage on him, and he was really coming on strong.

After a couple months I decided to send Gabe back to Christine. The only thing I didn't like about him was that he was not for sale. I had been looking for a youngster to train and trial while waiting for Livy to grow up, and one became available to me. As it turned out, that dog and I just didn't click. And I was sorely missing Gabe. While he was with me, I tried so hard to not become too attached to him. I always reminded myself that he was not my dog but I was just borrowing him. In the days following his return to Fieldstone Farm, I was surprised to find out how badly I missed that dog. I really had a tough time. Somewhere along the way that big hunk of a dog weasled his way deep into my heart.

"You know you love me"

After the other dog didn't work out, Christine suggested I take him back to work with again. I desperately wanted to, but baby Livy had just come home and I needed to devote myself 100% to her. Well, to make a long story not *as* long, fast-forward a couple weeks and Christine found herself spread too thin amongst young dogs, and she reluctantly decided to offer him to me permanently!! It was a no-brainer...of course I wanted that dog!

So that is the story of Gaby Baby. He has the sweetest personality and is just what I'm looking for in a trial dog. Not to mention that he and Ella are bestest friends and Rae doesn't try to bite him. Gabe is still with Christine while I get Livy settled in, but I'm really looking forward to bringing him home again, this time as a new family member!


YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment