Another ridiculously hot and humid day. The weather has been taking a toll on the dogs and sheep, and a number of good dogs went down today in a blaze of gripping glory. Mike Neary and Bob Washer both had really nice runs going, not to mention that they had great first round runs...unfortunately both dogs lost their cool and body slammed a lamb after the shed. Really a shame. Don Whittington had a nice run with Fionn and I'm pretty sure he's in the lead going into tomorrow. Annie Palmer did really well with Dot and is likely to make the finals. I missed her run but she said how shocked and excited she was since she'd come down here with no thoughts of placing. Joni Swanke's Lew son Griz had another good go; I've enjoyed watching him run because he looks VERY similar to Livy, and I'd be quite happy if she grows up to look like him out on the field! Christine had a decent run with Tweed, though both runs were not as smooth as we'd all hoped for. She's got an outside chance of making the finals, depending on how things go tomorrow. A number of the leaders from Round 1 either had poor runs or DQ/RTs, so it looks like those who can get 2 respectable scores on the board will make it through.
A few of us took a little tour of the local thoroughbred farms. We saw WinStar Farm, home of Derby winner Super Saver. At Ashford Stud Farm we got to walk around the breeding shed and barns since Bob used to work as a stallion handler there. We saw Tail of the Cat cover a mare (yay Storm Cat progeny!) and I got to touch Giant's Causeway and Dunkirk. What's Lexington without some thoroughbred action, right?
Rae and I run again tomorrow. I hope the humidity holds off, that's really what's making it so miserable here weather-wise. We'll give it our best shot!
No comments:
Post a Comment