Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Rogue Lamb

I'm beyond aggravated with this 6-week old ewe lamb:

Not me?!

Don't let her cuteness fool you: she's evil.

Apparently she just doesn't like it here.  She's gotten out each day for the last 7 days.  I go out to find the little darling on the wrong side of the fence screaming her head off, not remembering how she got out.  Now, this wouldn't be such a big deal, except that it's a huge project actually getting into the neighboring fields.  The fencing is all woven wire with barbed wire strung across the top, and there is only one gate that connects my place to the other 3 fields surrounding me.  That gate belongs to the neighbor and is wired shut.  The bottom of the gate is a good foot off the ground, so I've barricaded it with planks and rocks to keep the sheep in my field.

So in order to retrieve the escapee ewe lamb, I have to un-barricade the gate so that Rae can squeeze under, then climb over it myself.  The two of us go out to catch the lamb, which always turns into a rodeo when the lamb loses whatever itty bitty brain she had before seeing me and Rae.  As Rae brings her, she runs along the fenceline looking for an opening, frequently hurling herself at the woven wire in an attempt to squeeze through.  When that doesn't work and she sees me coming to get her, she turns around and tries to beat Rae.  It's amusing to see the little thing try like crazy to out-manuever Rae, and I can't tell you how many times she's been inside Rae's mouth.  She's so little that when Rae grips her nose, she fits the whole lamb's head into her mouth.  Somehow Rae must be using some bite inhibition, though, as the lamb has never come away with a single toothmark.

Anyway, we eventually catch the bugger and I scoop her up for the trip home.  Rae prances beside me as proud as can be while we walk back, she thinks this is the best game EVER!  Me, I think it's really getting old.  Fast.  Especially when I get home late and we're out chasing a lamb by moonlight.

Bad.

I'm not sure what I'll do about her.  I tried putting her in the barn with her mom and brother, but she got out of the cattle panels there (not that it's hard, but I figured she'd stay with her family).  She gets out of the back field.  She gets out of the front field.  No one else gets out, not even her brother.  She's just running around out there by herself, not overly concerned about being alone until it's time to put the flock up for the night.

Dog crate?  And yes, she'll be allowed to leave for good once she gets a little bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment