Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Bon Voyage, Spain!

Yes, it was hard.  I've never parted with a dog, but it was time for Spain to move on.

She was progressively showing me that she didn't want to trial in Open any longer. In fact, the last several trials she had to be on leash before our turn or she'd run off and not come to me. I have *never* treated her harshly in the least bit and really, didn't put much training pressure on her at all.

We had a long year of hitting a lot of trials.  I gave her a couple months off. I checked her for tick diseases and have her on thyroid meds, but she just lost her spark when working.  She was perfectly happy to be a pet and loved to race around with the other dogs, but I was worried she'd get lost in my pack and not get the attention she deserved.  Whatever was going on, she wasn't happy working for me anymore, and she is still so young and talented that I thought if a suitable novice home presented itself, I'd place her.  Several people were interested in her, but for various reasons I didn't find them to be the perfect match, and I wasn't going to settle for anything but the best for everyone involved.

It just sort of worked out that a friend who wasn't even looking for a dog was tempted enough to convince her husband to add a 3rd dog.  Lynn has Gabe's younger brother and a puppy.  She is thoughtful and compassionate, and understands Spain's needs as a working dog and pet. We talked a lot and decided it could be a good fit, so I decided this might be 'the one.'

The closer the time came to give her Spain, the more I felt sad about placing her.  But it wasn't fair for her to stay with me and not get what she deserves, she is a special girl!  My bitches were never mean to her, but she was low in status, didn't like all the activity in the house, and preferred to keep to herself. I could tell that she wanted to be a bigger part of my life, but was too intimidated by the rest of the pack.

Spain has now been in her new home for almost 2 weeks.  She has opened up and sounds to be doing great, friendly with the other dogs, cat, and family members.  Her new household is much quieter than mine and with 2 younger males as her housemates, she is experimenting with being the Top Dog!  She even went to work for Lynn her first time out, which was something I worried (too much) about.  Yay!!

All in all, I am happy, but it's still weird to see pictures of her on someone else's FB page!  Lynn takes far better photos than I do, anyway.


 
At Rural Hill, our last trial
 
 
 
 
2013 USBCHA Finals
 
 


Thanks for the fun, Spainie!  Love you!

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes the hardest decision is the best decision...you were just a home for her until she got her final home....part of her journey and yours.....glad you saw that and all worked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you are right! I'm looking at it as chapters in her (our) lives. We both learned and had fun, and now it is time to move on to something new. She is already getting more in her new home than what she would've gotten here :)

      Delete